I’ll tell you my focus word, if you tell me yours!
I’ve written a lot about resolutions and goal setting in the past, but last year I finally jumped onto the focus word bandwagon with my selected theme for 2018, CONNECT. I find that a focus word, or theme, helps to shape my thoughts and actions in a way that does not require sticking to a specific habit that can easily be abandoned. The word can apply to one’s personal life, work, or both, and keeping it in mind can lead to discoveries and new habits that were not foreseen on January 1st.
Here’s an analogy I just thought of for focus word v. resolutions: Picture your life (and goals) as a tall, willowy tree, swaying in the wind, but still growing…rather than relying on a single branch that may break. What do you think?
OK, are you ready?
My new focus word for this year (if you haven’t already guessed) is LEVERAGE. Here is the dictionary definition:
LEVERAGE (I’m using it as a verb): To use (something) to maximum advantage.
Here are some examples of what this means to me (although this could all change and grow as the year progresses):
LEVERAGE my things
- Read the books I already own, or donate them, if I realize I never will read them, before buying new ones. (This includes not bringing any more cheap, used books home from my library volunteer job for a while, either).
- Use up the food staples in my cupboards before they expire, and before I buy more.
- Finish the online classes I’ve already started, rather than investing in new ones that catch my eye. Free one-off genealogy webinars are OK!
- Learn how to use the tools I’ve already got (FlipPal scanner, PhotoMechanic editing software, etc.) rather than buying new ones, or even trying to learn free new ones.
- Fix the issue with my not-brand-new, but still-unused Instant Pot and learn to use it.
LEVERAGE my time
- Continue offering more Virtual Organizing and Genealogy Services so I can spend more time at home doing what I want rather than driving around town. (In addition to the other benefits of Virtual Organizing, of course!)
- Combine tasks into more efficient time blocks. (Like I teach my clients to do!)
LEVERAGE my ideas
- Make more of a point to refresh, share, and re-purpose the best of the many blog posts I’ve already written, which are just sitting there on my website. (Rather than worry about how many new posts I’m writing, or not writing.)
- Consider creating new info products, or combine old ones in new ways.
LEVERAGE my relationships
(This one extends last year’s CONNECT theme.)
- Nurture existing friends, clients and colleagues. (Keeping in mind the 80/20 Rule.)
- Ask for help if I need it. (This one is always hard for me.)
What other examples can you think of for LEVERAGE?
Are you LEVERAGING your life? (Do you want to be?)
If you have one, what is YOUR focus word, or theme, for the New Year?
Please join the conversation in the comments below!
Copyright 2019 by Hazel Thornton, Organized for Life.
I welcome social media links directly to this page!
Please contact me for other types of reprint permission.